Monday, March 23, 2009

Change of Perspective

I used to argue that our southern boarders should be closed tighter and restrict the passage of any aliens from Mexico. This position was a result of the fact that I, at the time, had no respect for Mexicans as people. The summer after my junior year in highschool I went on a mission trip to San Antonio Texas, and then on to McCallen Texas. In McCallen we brought gifts and helped rebuild a house for a poor family that had illegally crossed the boarder a number of years ago and then gave birth to childeren in the American town. After helping these people, and more seeing them as real people, I came away with a profound new respect and perspective on their situation. I now believe that boarder control should be less strict in an attempt at making life better for the poor in Mexico.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you stated the issue and that after looking into it your mind was changed. I also like how you detailed what exactly persuaded you.

    ReplyDelete